Tuesday, July 5, 2011

15 Pretty Great 90's Brit Pop Bands

I have resigned myself to the fact that this site has seemingly evolved, if only temporarily, from a music blog into a 90's video and list curation mechanism. Oh well, what are you gonna do....

There were certainly some cool Brit Pops bands before the barrage of the early to mid nineties, like Stone Roses and The La's, but this is a sampling of some of my favourites from that core period. In my opinion it is one of the few genres where a lot the fringe, tier 2 and semi-disposable acts were better then some of the big names in other genres. I also think a lot of the material from these bands holds up very well.  Pretty tough for well written, honest, three minute guitar pop songs to get dated. I'll take this stuff over the big label Seattle stuff any day.

No doubt I have missed a few, but here are 15 Brit Pop bands that made some pretty fantastic music in a very short period of time.

Blur - "Chemical World"


Pulp - "Disco 2000"


The Charlatans - "Can't Get Out Of Bed"


Inspiral Carpets - "Dragging Me Down"


Oasis - "Live Forever"


The Auteurs - "Light Aircraft on Fire"


The Buetones - "Cut Some Rug"


Ash - "Goldfinger"


Suede - "Metal Mickey"


Gene - "Olympian"


Boo Radleys - "Wake Up Boo!"


James - "She's A Star"


Mansun - "Stripper Vicar"


Marion - "I Stopped Dancing"


Cast - "Alright"