Monday, September 26, 2011

Better Than Nevermind

I did some soul searching to see if this list is legit or if it is just an exercise in contrarianism. It is likely both.

I like Nirvana. I respect Nevermind. I appreciate its unprecedented influence and understand why there is so much hype even to this day. The actual exercise here however, is when push comes to shove there are many albums from that era which I still reach for way more often as part of my regular listening routine.

This notion did allow me to contemplate Nevermind's host label for a second. Geffen or DGC as it is referred to frequently. If the 90's was the last era when major labels were generally signing and promoting interesting music, then Geffen had a solid run of some pretty great non-compromised variety mainstream alternative music. So I don't dislike Nirvana or Nevermind, but here are 10 other DGC releases from the 90's I would rather listen to most days.

10. Jawbreaker - Dear You



9. Weezer - Weezer (blue)


8. Elastica - Elastica


7. Beck - Odelay


6.  Weezer - Pinkerton


5. Veruca Salt - American Thighs


4. Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque


3. The Posies - Frosting On The Beater


2. Sloan - Twice Removed


1. Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix