Monday, November 21, 2016

2016 High Fives: Females Rule

Once upon a time I was probably as guilty as anyone of splitting artists into "the best male artist" or "the best female artist" categories of this or that. You still see it all the time and it does a disservice to all performers, since there is absolutely nothing about gender that makes you better as a musical artist. You are either good, or you are shitty.

What I have noticed however, as I have been contemplating all my favourite music from 2016, is that there was a whole lot of high calibre and sincere music being made by female artists this year. For whatever reason, a lot of these albums aren't necessarily records that will finish as top 10 year-end albums for me, but I thought the sheer volume of quality music made by female artists in 2016 was worth showcasing and celebrating.

It is always worth noting, that like any music lists of mine, I don't shy away from the mainstream stuff, but I certainly don't focus on it. There are already plenty of lists out there with Beyonce and other high profile mainstream artists getting their props, if that's your thing. Plus I already mentioned that these are artists who were making sincere music this year 😏. I have also all but abandoned any interest in folky singer songwriter types (male or female), so I wouldn't look for much of that here either.

Angel Olsen - My Woman


Solange - A Seat At The Table


Savages - Adore Life


Kristin Kontrol - X-Communicate


PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project


Jessy Lanza - Oh No


Against Me! - Shape Shift With Me


School of Seven Bells - SVIIB


Alicia Keys - Here


Mitski - Puberty 2


jennylee - right on!


Ladyhawke - Wild Things


Warpaint - Heads Up


Amber Arcades - Fading Lines


Anohni - Hopelessness


Basia Bulat - Good Advice


Eliot Sumner - Information


Roisin Murphy - Take Her Up To Monto


Like A Motorcycle - High Hopes


The Julie Ruin - Hit Reset